"Language, as well as the faculty of speech, was the immediate gift of God." ~ Noah Webster



Saturday, September 4, 2010

Summer's End

As Labor Day approaches, I have come to terms with the fact that summer is over. We will start school the day after Labor Day, and even if it wasn’t for that small fact, I would still begin to understand that Summer, 2010 is now nothing more than a memory….and a short memory at that.

The cooler weather came much earlier giving us an early fall, it seems. I am already covering vegetables in my garden, just to be safe. We had one really close call from Mr. Frost, and I am not about to take a chance on a surprise visit from him again. The evenings are cool and the mornings cooler, and I have even already added an extra blanket on the bed at night. Yes, summer is over.

But where did it go? What did I do? It seems I accomplished so little on my list of summer things to do. Matt and I only made it to the State Park to swim once. Any of the other surrounding lakes? Nope, not even once. We did take a few drives down to the State Park to look for wildlife and to simply enjoy evening drives. I love that; especially that my 17 year old son would do that kind of thing with me. Ah yes, we also enjoyed a boat ride one afternoon, with my mom and dad.

Didn’t make it huckleberryin’ this summer, (for the second summer in a row) but we did take a few letterboxing trips – wonderful times spent with my family. No picnics, no vacations. But there were trips north, to my beloved “North Country”, at least twice. And one evening, Matt and I took what has become our annual trip to one of our favorite tourist towns north of us for dinner.

Letterbox Event with Family
We baled hay and painted the outside of the house - almost done with that, now – and we tried to do some extra cleaning both outside and inside of our home and property. I gardened and did yard work, which I very much love. I spent what seemed like countless hours on my book business – organizing them in storage and adding them to the data base. I spent a few too many hours on this silly blog, but I also enjoyed coffee with my family once weekly. That was the most important thing for me to do, and I am glad I was able to do so.

We spent a little time with Skeeter, but not nearly as much as we should have or would have liked. No Cowboy Mounted Shooting this year; but we will attend, as spectators, the shoot next week-end.

Early this summer, I caught up on all of Matt’s report cards and transcripts. That was a huge relief all in itself. I finished writing In the Slipstream and began Miss POP. I wrote a couple letters to the editor of our paper, neither of which were published (maybe a bit too radical; or maybe just a bit too "right").  Most likely,  just wrong timing.  I contacted a few Congressmen through letters and decided to help someone with their campaign. I also did some research for someone I love, which was huge, but which was also very much in vain.

We attended a street dance, and a few very fun, local city parades and events. We also attended a square dancing event in the city park. I found out why people so easily get hooked on that. I had a blast and met some very nice people.  We also attended two county fairs.

Matt took quite a few trips away from home with his activities, so I think he would feel like he had a pretty good summer. I hope so. Making memories for our children is really what summer is all about, isn’t it?

It helps to look back, recount what we did, and make myself understand it really was a good summer, in spite of my long “didn’t do” list. I did in fact have a nice sense of accomplishment with the things we got done around our home.  There is more to do before winter sets in....that's when Summer, 2010 will look really good.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment