"Language, as well as the faculty of speech, was the immediate gift of God." ~ Noah Webster



Friday, November 28, 2014

SYOTOS

No more winter doldrums. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with our family. It went smoothly and comfortably. I was especially thankful that I didn't have to cook this year. I simply wasn't prepared. We have too much going on working on our house. And my niece and her husband did a beautiful job with our family Thanksgiving. It could NOT have been better.

I did wake up with a song on my mind this morning, though. I'm not sure why. I have noticed that a lot of people have been posting tributes to their lost loved ones on Facebook this week, and of course the holidays always remind us of the ones that have gone on before us. I suspect that is why this song is on my mind today. 

It seems there are some that think there should be a time limit on grief; and that people should not continue to post about their loved ones. Apparently, some have even been told it is "time to move on". We all grieve differently. No one has the right to put time limits on anyone.

For me, it isn't about holding on to grief, it is about keeping a memory alive. Everyone loves to post about their children's accomplishments, and life situations, don't they? Well for some, this is all they have to keep their lost loved one at the forefront - a way to keep a continuation of a life lost too soon. It is a comfort and a means to be able to inadvertently say, no one has been forgotten. Certainly, we can't do that with silence.

Some might find this song melancholy, but it is one of my all time favorite songs by one of my all time favorite artists. I have not heard it in some time, but it simply won't leave me today.

It is Toby Keith's Crying for Me, better known as Wayman's Song. It is written and sung for Toby's good friend, Wayman Tisdale. To keep it short, Wayman was a basketball player in the NBA and also a jazz bass guitarist. More than that, he was a wonderful human being who lost his life to cancer far too early. This is a wonderful tribute, sung with a whole lot of love.

I hope you will enjoy the video below and really, really listen. It's ok to remember those we have lost; we know we will "seem them on the other side".  But don't ever let anyone tell you that it isn't ok to keep "Cryin' For Me". And that has nothing to do with doldrums.




“It opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes, and softens down the temper; so cry away.”         
~ Charles Dickens
 

No comments:

Post a Comment