"Language, as well as the faculty of speech, was the immediate gift of God." ~ Noah Webster



Sunday, August 23, 2015

Inside the Frame

I ran frazzled and harried out the front door. It was 5:00 am, still dark and I was running a bit late. I was tired from not enough sleep and from working too many hours.

So it was when we first opened our bookstore and coffee shop. I was also just learning how to be a business women. Stress was a part of my everyday life back then.
My son would sense when I was having a bad morning – it was probably easy to figure out – but on certain mornings, somehow he would sneak out to my car and put in my favorite CD by my favorite artist to the exact beginning of my favorite song.  I think I have written about that before. It meant a lot to me. I don’t know what it was about that song, but when it came on the CD player, I relaxed instantly. Every time he did it, it would catch me off guard. I never learned to expect it, but when I needed it most, it was just there. It is now one of my favorite memories of that time. That memory exemplifies who my son is. It was such a thoughtful thing to do. Granted, it was probably for his benefit, as well. ;-) But often times I would be brought to tears at that simple action that gave me the opportunity to unwind and relax on the drive into our store.

Well, 8 years later, that artist has a new CD that has just been released. And he has on that CD another song that affects me the exact same way. It is my new favorite song. The first time I heard it, it was because my son played it for me. He knew I would love it, and we have always shared the songs we love. I cried when I heard it. Well, I cried when I heard another song on the same CD when he played that one for me too. I just love the artistry and poetry of this man’s lyrics. I love his commitment to traditional country. On the CD he promises to "keep it country" and he surely did. The entire CD is awesome. In the pull away from traditional country which we are seeing these days, I really appreciate that this singer/songwriter stayed true to his roots.
Below is a video of the song for you to listen to if you like. I wish there were an official video. There isn’t, so far. But I will also print the lyrics here for you to read. They are too beautiful to miss!  Just don’t forget to listen to the song, if you can. I bet it will have the same effect on you, that it does me! How can one not love Alan Jackson?

Anyway, I love looking back to this memory with my son. Things were not always perfect back then at that time. We struggled, and we worked hard. One thing I know, (and I don’t always do this) but from that time, I'm pretty sure I learned to “see the beauty inside the frame”. And that gives me hope that I will do that again when I am in the midst of uncomfortable trials. At least I pray so.


When God Paints
By Alan Jackson

When God paints, birds sing
He colors every feather on a sparrow's wings
When God paints, the wind blows
With a stroke of love, He dips his brush in the rainbow

Sometimes I take for granted the simple things
I can be His biggest critic when it starts to rain
But there's always a bigger picture I can't explain

When God paints, the heart beats
Life begins, season ends and lovers meet
And I've learned that sometimes
It's not always black and white but well defined
When God paints

Sometimes I take for granted the simple things
I can be His biggest critic when it starts to rain
But there's always a bigger picture I can't explain

When God paints, we dance
And I reach across the canvas and I take your hand
And my world is so complete
When I look at you, a masterpiece is all I see
When God paints

Sometimes I take for granted the simple things
I can be His biggest critic when it starts to rain
But there's always a bigger picture I can't explain

When God paints
I pray I always see the beauty inside the frame
When God paints
 

No comments:

Post a Comment