"Language, as well as the faculty of speech, was the immediate gift of God." ~ Noah Webster



Sunday, February 25, 2018

Last Call


Billy Graham Tribute - I can only Imagine from Mike Blakemore on Vimeo.

I love this video. It was made in remembrance of Billy Graham, who just passed from us this week. I was heartbroken when I heard. Not really surprised, (he was 99 after all) just heartbroken.

But there is a tremendous message in this video. And it isn't simply about Billy. Billy, I am sure would like that. Rather it is about God and about a nation created by God who has always called on Him in signs of trouble.

Oh right, how do you get that from this video?" one may doubtfully ask.

Well, it is pretty clear. And honestly, while not trying to take anything away from this man whom I love, admire and respect so greatly, a message of America's love for God had an even greater impression on me from this short, moving tribute.

When Karl Rove (advisor to President G. W. Bush - 43) explains in the video what happened on 9/11 and what it took to get America's pastor to the memorial ceremony, it explains it all. Watch if you haven't already, you will be deeply moved. Because the truth behind it is America calls on God. America wants God in her life. America understands the need for a minister of God to be at our most important events and moments. America believes in the Christian God of the Bible and we want our pastor when we need him. As always, the Reverend Billy Graham answered the call. President GW made sure he was there. We are Americans. We are Christians. We are a Christian nation who knows we need the God of the Holy Bible in our lives...more importantly we want Him in our lives. There is a whole lot of symbolism in that lone jet flying through the sky to a destination in need.

For almost the full entirety of my Christian life, I had a secret thought. I rarely shared it - only with those I thought would understand. I think I will share it now. I always believed, in my naivety, that my mom, my dad and Billy Graham would be of the generation that never had to die a physical death - from Matthew 24:34. I thought we would all be raptured out of here before that happened. I thought I had Scripture to back that up. "This generation will not pass away".... The Spirit of Elijah being translated.... Whatever. Sometimes we misinterpret Scripture - to our demise. Maybe in truth, my crazy thought was really only about me, and my desire to not experience the pain of losing any of those I love. I don't know; losing my mom last year and Billy this week, obviously I was wrong.

Anyway, I have never known life without Billy Graham. My Grandma and Grandpa watched him and read his books. They loved him and encouraged me to watch him. My folks watched and loved him. They helped my siblings and I listen to his message. I attended one of his Crusades in the 1980's in the Tacoma Dome. My son was led to the Lord when he was 2 watching a Billy Graham Crusade on television. Really don't care what you say about that. I know it was real and so does he. I am not disputing that he had to come to a greater realization of sin and repentance as he grew up. In that moment, his salvation was real.

Anyway, Rev. Graham has always been in my life. I knew he wouldn't last forever, but I was heartbroken at his death. It went beyond him simply dying, because I knew his age, and where he was going....it's all good.
 
But where this went for me in my heartbreak was, I couldn't help but feel this is truly an end of an era. I don't think there will ever be another Billy Graham. Not in character, nor in faith, not in purpose. We are truly at the end of an era. Sadly, the public altar call has almost become a thing of the past.

The time Billy was here on earth could not have been more God orchestrated. There is no other time in history that he would have been able to reach the amount of people he reached. He came when the beginnings of his ministry could be captured on both television and radio. But stations were more limited at the beginning, keeping people more centrally focused. The age of printing and the number of books able to be merchandised world wide was never better. We are bombarded today - much of it with stuff that isn't good. He was trusted. There is too much uncertainty today. Air travel took him places around the world easily. Well you get the idea.

He was able to get his message out like no other time in history. If he had come any later, it would have been hindered by modern technology. And yes, I mean that. All the hundreds of television stations would have limited his audience, not increased it, because the public would be so divided in their watching. The social media, phones et al would have limited his message, because it would have to be a shorter message. And it would come without the personal touch required as well as the pause one needs to reach a heart. His message would be more easily distorted, maligned and made fun of. His influence diminished.

Truly the "time [was] now"! Just like Rev Graham always told us.

Honestly, I cannot get beyond feeling like this is the last call. Through his death, we are once again seeing the clips of his stadium sermons. Once again, the age old Gospel message is brought to our attention - which we have not heard in awhile. That is, at least in as great a format as we used to hear it. But we are hearing it again as we honor him in death. It is being repeated through the air waves. But I can't help but feel it is the last call. I am afraid it will be short-lived. The time is now.

I don't mean to sound negative. I'm sure there will be others that come after him. His son, Franklin, is doing a tremendous job. But it is different. We will never see the Gospel message brought to us with the impact and simplicity, nor the degree with which we received it from Billy Graham. It truly is the end of an era.

Last call. The time is now. Just in case....you come.

 

2 comments:

  1. This is all so beautiful....this video and what you have written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you...You are always so encouraging and supportive and I sure appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete