"Language, as well as the faculty of speech, was the immediate gift of God." ~ Noah Webster



Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pick Up A Book

Wow, it occurred to me recently that I can read just about any book I want to at any time I want. I have mystery books, adventure books, political books and animal books….and since closing my bookstore, I also have a lot more time to read these days. I have biographies and history books, kid’s books and classics. Honestly, I know I don’t have to read, but sometimes I get just a bit overwhelmed with the fact that all these books are at my fingertips, and I would be a fool not to read as many as is humanly possible.

Anyway, I have a storage unit full of books, but what did I do last week? I went out and bought a brand new one. I won’t tell you which one, but I will tell you it is a political biography and you would have to be a bit of a political junkie to enjoy this book….But guess what? I’m enjoying it and finding a lot of truth in it. If I am really struck with it by the time I am through with it, I will probably want to share it with everyone I can, so you will see a post here about it.

I also just finished a book by Mark Fuhrman about the Terri Schiavo case…Silent Witness. If you are unfamiliar with this story, this is the euthanasia case that took place in our nation a few years ago and it was hugely controversial. This is a heartbreaking story written from the perspective of one who has no political agenda, but rather investigated and wrote from a detective’s perspective. You will remember Mark was the lead detective that was demonized on the O. J. Simpson case, merely from being in the position he held. That is a whole other story, but Mr. Fuhrman does a great job telling this story of a young woman that basically ended up with less Constitutional rights than criminals on death row. This is a book I would highly recommend, not just because of the obvious issue that it covers, but also because it provides some transparency into the sometimes messy aspects of our judicial system.

Sometimes I will read two or three books at a time. Depending on my mood, I may want to escape for a time into mere adventure; or I may want to learn something, or read something to reinforce what I already believe. (Yes, I do, do that!) But the “escapism” books that I am enamored with at this time are the books written by James Oliver Curwood. Mr. Curwood was an author during the early 1900’s. He has a series that was written mainly for teen boys, but they are so well written and heart-felt that anyone will enjoy them. He was a bit of an environmentalist of his time, but his is a practical ideology that does not infringe upon the rights of mankind, or place the environment in any type of importance above humans. It is a healthy environmentalism that is really as things used to be and still should be. Almost a Biblical perspective of being good stewards and taking care of our world and all that Mother Nature (rather, our Father God) has blessed us with. Anyway, some of the more popular books that he has written are: Kazan, Baree, Son of Kazan, and Grizzly King. Kazan and Baree are books for boys about a wolf family and they are absolutely captivating. He writes from his own knowledge as an environmentalist, but also a hunter which he had eventually given up. Grizzly King is written in the same light, but of course about a grizzly bear. Another one of my favorites of Mr. Curwoods, is Flower of the North. This one is a bit of a romance probably written for the mom’s of those teen-age boys (Like me!) that he was capturing with his wolf series. It has adventure, native history, romance and a good old fashioned happy ending. I am hooked on these books written in an era when it seemed all the world and its created beings were in balance.

Added to my list of recent reads is: Sarah Palin’s - Going Rogue; John Ashcroft’s - Never Again (there is that political side again); and a true story about two young ladies that were forced into a mistaken identity….which is exactly the name of this book. Mistaken Identity is an amazing story that will speak to you in that small whisper that is God’s when He is trying to tell you something important.

Though written from a Mormon’s perspective, I also recently read Bringing Elizabeth Home by Ed and Lois Smart. I’m not sure I gained too much from this one. I think the Smarts may have written because they had been requested, rather than feeling any sort of need to write. They clearly were very protective of anything that might be revealed, as they should have been. There was little to gain from their statements of faith, and there was little more information than what we already knew through the massive news coverage of this story. Still it was heart-warming to read about a family reunited.

Ok, well that is a bit of what I have been doing. Not terribly interesting, but I had to quickly think of something to write about, because I had also written a political opinion that I am not sure anyone is ready to endure. That may still show up on my blog at some point, but it will come with a “viewer warning”. But hey after all, those of you that know me, know I have an opinion on just about everything; but I do want to spare any from reading what I write that may not think like I do. ;-)

One more favorite book before I close: It is not one I have read recently, but it is a favorite of mine that I will mention….well, just because. The title of it is: They Thought for Themselves by Sid Roth. This is a book of short testimonies by Jewish people that have completed their faith by coming to know our Savior, Jesus Christ. It is filled with love and hope and life and mission. It will give you pause to think about a number of things as you read. But for me, the biggest thing I took away from it was why throughout history we have seen such a destructive, relentless campaign to destroy the Jew. This book brings awesome clarity to that discussion, but I am afraid that is for another post as well.

For now, I must close…but not without a suggestion to pick up a book….


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Recent Reading List - (in no particular order)
  • A Christmas Carol ~ Charles Dickens (re-reads)
  • The Grizzly King ~ James Oliver Curwood
  • Kazan ~ James Oliver Curwood
  • Baree, Son of Kazan ~ James Oliver Curwood
  • Flower of the North ~ James Oliver Curwood
  • A Time of Departing ~ Ray Yungen
  • South to Alaska ~ Nancy Owens Barnes
  • It’s All About Him ~ Denise Jackson
  • Faith Undone ~ Roger Oakland
  • New Wine or Old Deception ~ Roger Oakland
  • When New Wine Makes a Man Divine ~ Roger Oakland
  • Cross and the Switchblade ~ David Wilkerson (re-reads)
  • The Vision ~ David Wilkerson (re-reads)
  • Bring Elizabeth Home ~ Smart/Morton
  • Silent Witness ~ Mark Fuhrman
  • The Quiet Little Woman ~ Louisa Mae Alcott
  • Never Again ~ John Ashcroft
  • Together ~ Betty White
  • The Alaskan ~ James Oliver Curwood
  • Ruby Ridge ~ Randy Weaver (re-reads)
  • Our Lord’s Life ~ Charles Dickens
  • Mistaken Identity ~ Cerek/Van Rhyn
  • Going Rogue ~ Sarah Palin
  • Deceived on Purpose ~ Oakland
  • Courage and Consequence ~ Karl Rove
  • The Alaskan ~ James Oliver Curwood
  • The Country Beyond ~ James Olive Curwood 
  • Spoken From the Heart ~ Laura Bush

No comments:

Post a Comment