"Language, as well as the faculty of speech, was the immediate gift of God." ~ Noah Webster



Saturday, February 25, 2012

America the Beautiful

Ok, so I finished Dr. Carson's book. I guess in some ways, it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Maybe I expected too much. Don't get me wrong; I don't mean to make it sound like it wasn't worth reading; it absolutely was, but I did find myself disagreeing with him on more issues than I originally thought I would. That is to be expected; no one is going to agree totally on everything, that's for sure. In fact, that is actually one of the main points he discusses in his book and one of our important freedoms.

The doctor covered some very important topics, and he writes from a sincere heart, with a desire to better America and protect her from those that would seek to destroy her.  His faith is of utmost importance to him, and there is no debating the relevance of God in our lives.  I am thankful for that.

Dr. Carson's personality is very much revealed through his writings.  He is the diplomat, the peace seeker, the calm, practical man that wants to only find the best in mankind. He has not an unkind word to say about anyone. He talks about the sequence of events that brought changes in him throughout stages of his life and he does not withhold his opinions, which is uncommonly refreshing. That fact, is one of the more important things to me about this book. He is not afraid to state his thoughts and beliefs and even more than that, he argues we should discuss our opinions. He believes that because of "political correctness" we have lost the ability to civilly discuss controversial matters. That, I believe, is one of the most important lessons of the book.

Another lesson from the book, is that we have a nation that we can believe in and that we should do all we can to keep our country's foundation firm and strong the way our founding fathers intended.

At the beginning, Dr. Carson offers wonderful history lessons, that are well worth reviewing, and he has a firm belief in keeping our nation's history intact and correct. He is not a bit shy about correlating everything with Scripture, and that our founders faith in God is one of the most important aspects of our beginnings.  He points out that our founders were indeed Christian and not simply dieists as so many like to now try to say. These beginning chapters were, in my opinion, the best part of the book.

America the Beautiful is an easy read, filled with important truths. Dr. Carson keeps it all interesting by including  his own life experiences. I would recommend this book, but only with the disclaimer that I don't agree with everything he writes. There are some ideas I would not want to be viewed as promoting, but these are, for the most part, minor. To some degree, I feel I may even be wrong in mentioning that fact, because I do not want to pull anything away from the importance of most of what Dr. Carson has to say. The thoughts and truths that are the substance of this book are probably some of the most important issues I have read in awhile. This book is a wonderful reminder of all that we have been blessed with, not simply in America, but because of a Creator Who gave us America.
I sought for the key to greatness and genius of America in her harbors...in her fertile fields and boundless forests, in her rich mines and vast world commerce; in her public school system and institutions of learning.  I sought for it in her democratic Congress and in her matchless Constitution.  Not until I went into the church of America and heard her pulpits flame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power.  America is great because America is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.  ~Alexis de Tocqueville - 1831
Now, that is an idea worth holding on to and once again promoting!  I'm glad that Dr. Carson gently, but forthrightly, reminds us of our roots, and our place in history. Even more than that though, I believe he causes us to consider our place in God's plan through his heartfelt writings in America the Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment