"Language, as well as the faculty of speech, was the immediate gift of God." ~ Noah Webster



Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Nothin' But A Memory - Spending Treasure

I love to drive down the streets of the neighborhood where I grew up. More often than not, I will take the back roads when I am off to visit my folks. I think about all the memories; I note the changes; sometimes I lament the changes.

On one particular day, I had a strong desire to drive the long driveway to my best friend's childhood home. I longed to go up to the back door, knock and say, "My best friend lived here, 50 years ago, when I was a kid. Do you think I could come in and just take a look. I have so many memories! She's gone, now. I just want to take a look."

But I didn't do that. I may have, if someone would have been with me.

Grandma's Joy
Years and years ago, my cousin and I did that for my grandma. We had taken a road trip to our beloved north country - taking Grandma along. The mission was to drive by the old ranch that my grandma and grandpa owned, see the changes and reminisce a bit. I will never forget my grandma's excitement. She was so happy to be there. On that day, we were bold enough to knock on the door, and say, "Do you mind? We lived here!"

I will never regret that. It is one of my fondest memories because of my grandma's joy.

Anyway, my folks are still in my childhood home. I am lucky enough all these years later to have that. Perhaps someday, I will miss it enough to knock on the door and say, "Do you mind?"

But for now, every time I hear Miranda Lambert's song "The House That Built Me" I think of that summer day and my Grandma's joy.

I love this song. The lyrics are so real and heartfelt. Miranda is mostly a wild child. Or at least likes to present that persona. But every once in a while she likes to show us her softer side, and that is who I believe she really is. Enjoy the video. And maybe think about the house that built you, as you listen.

Oh, and by the way, I was certainly glad I hadn't knocked on the door of my best friend's childhood home. Just a few days later I found out, friends of my niece had just bought it. Pretty sure, I would have felt extremely foolish when the people behind the knock was someone I knew. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment