"Language, as well as the faculty of speech, was the immediate gift of God." ~ Noah Webster



Thursday, December 5, 2019

Snowflakes

I am a patriotic Republican. I have been my whole life, with the first President, I ever voted for being Richard Nixon. I am a proud Trump supporter and not afraid to acknowledge that. I believe politics in our life is very important. And I also believe we should never be hesitant to talk about that. Those that know me, know that full well. In my opinion, it is silence that kills. That is my philosophy of life. Whether it be the Gospel, the truth in politics or the harmful things of life, I believe we are to speak up. That is just who I am. I do know there are times we are cautioned to remain quiet. And that is equally important at those times.

With that said, there is a place I don't talk about politics and that is at work. I am a strong believer that my company is not paying me to influence, complain, encourage, or whatever else I might be trying to do by talking about the political state of our nation. I have always believed this way. Even when I owned my own business, I refrained from expressing my political views to my customers.

The other day, when I was at work a woman with a "Trump 2020" hat came in. It was a cute hat - not the traditional red, but rather a soft green, camo. Before thinking, I greeted her with "Cute hat! I like it!" And then quickly realizing where I was, I continued "Oh, I probably shouldn't talk about that here."

She answered with "I don't care! I am in Idaho now." And quickly walked away before I could say anything else. That was the full extent of our conversation.

We were very busy that day, and I had been helping a woman in the dressing room. I was on my way to get something for her, when I encountered the woman in the Trump hat. I don't think I ever got back to Ms. Trump 2020. I don't know if she bought anything or found what she was looking for. I am pretty sure she didn't leave without looking further, as she was headed to the back of the store.

A few days later, I was at work again, when I saw our manger and 2 assistant managers talking at the counter. There were no customers in the store. When I approached them coming back from folding tables, my boss asked me, "Did you see a woman with a Trump hat in here the other day?"

"Yes, I saw her; I told her I liked her hat." I replied.

My boss laughed and told the other two, "It was J." And then she proceeded to explain to me. "We just got a nasty email from her. She complained to corporate that someone greeted her, liking her hat and then the employee quickly said under her breath, that she shouldn't talk about that here."  She went on to say how because of that she "would NEVER shop at our company again!" Something to that effect anyway, that is not a complete quote.
 
"Oh my gosh!!!! Really????" Was all I could say. I felt terrible!!!! Now my boss did not reprimand me. She tried to do just the opposite, because she knows me and knows my work ethic and really the person I am. I always try my hardest and she knows it.

My boss is the same way. She is an excellent boss and goes out of her way to please the customer, keep happy employees and run a smooth, tight ship while still having fun. She isn't going to ever see this, so I am not trying to do any schmooozing. It is simply the truth of the type of manager she is and the store she runs.

She knew I felt terrible, I knew she felt terrible. She tries so hard; we all do, to keep from ever getting a complaint like that sent to corporate. I asked if the customer complained about any of the service she had received. She had not.  But that isn't what my post is about. I am merely setting the stage for what I want to address.

The truth is, I wanted to say "FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I AM ASHAMED TO BE A TRUMP SUPPORTER!" (to paraphrase someone from the other side) Good grief. But the truth is, this isn't a reflection of President Trump. That is a reflection of our goofed up, soft, be offended society in which we now find ourselves. What the heck??! I knew the Democrats did this. I didn't think Republicans did.

My first reaction was a desire to find this woman and have a talk with her. We had something in common, after all, and we should be able to converse. I wanted to ask her, just what did you think you were accomplishing? I hadn't said that this was the policy of the company where I worked. I never implied they had a political bias. I thought it was simply a well understood fact that especially a conservative should understand: I don't get paid to talk politics on the job! Period.

I wanted to ask her, Do you realize that you could have gotten me in trouble? And at the very least embarrassed me? Do you care about that? Anyone but yourself and maybe your desire to just create a bit of commotion because that is what seems to be making the news these days - the climate we now live. Are you so sensitive to your support of the President that you feel you need to draw attention to your statement?

I didn't get in trouble, but that is only due to the great company I work for and the awesome boss that I have. You however, Miss Trump 2020 made our whole cause look bad. In your nasty email, you looked just like the "snowflakes" we so often question from the other side. Really? That's how you want Trump supporters to appear?

I would also add (and this is where I will get myself in trouble) your comment, that "[you] are in Idaho, now," I suspect holds the real key to everything. You are in Idaho "NOW". Because you have yet to learn that THAT is not how we do things in Idaho. We are stronger than that, a lot more free...and a heck of a lot more sensible and respectful. But hang in there, keep associating with the right people, praying you understand Idaho soon.

We have snow in Idaho; but not many "snowflakes". Please, don't bring that here. The political climate is out of control. We best get out the shovels.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment