"Language, as well as the faculty of speech, was the immediate gift of God." ~ Noah Webster



Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Silly Redneck Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is almost upon us. I think most people stop at this time of year to think about things for which they are thankful. I know it is something that is on my mind a bit more, during this time, than is usual. I see a few people on Facebook posting a new comment each day regarding a thankful thought.

Other than the obvious things for which we are all thankful: faith; family; friends; good health; a country that actually sets apart a day to thank the Creator, I decided I have had enough seriousness the last few weeks, and that it might be time to talk about some of the silly things for which I am thankful. I thought it might be fun to write about some of the things that one may not always stop to remember and appreciate. So leaving all serious things behind; below is my silly list.

  • I just heard on the news that Thanksgiving is the busiest time of all for airlines. The day after Thanksgiving is the second busiest day. To my surprise, it even beat out Christmas for air travel. I kind of like that. It says people choose to travel on Thanksgiving to see those they love, but they chose to stay home for Christmas. I think that’s cool. More people are at home at Christmas. Though it may seem silly, I’m thankful for that.
  • I’m thankful for the Flickers that come into my yard. I love them! They aren’t my favorite bird, but they are the bird that always makes me smile. I love watching the expression on their face and I love their curious antics.  I even love it when I hear the tap, tap, tap outside my bedroom window, which often wakes me up in the morning. It always makes me smile – always. I’m thankful God created those little woodpeckers even though my husband hates them.
  • I love it, but I also hate it, when the neighbors’ critters get out of their pens and make their way into our yard. I'm thankful that I live in a neighborhood where that happens and I love each of their silly personalities....the critters; not the neighbors.
  • I am thankful for my new neighbors next door - D. and M. They know all about being neighborly and they do it perfectly...with smiles.
  • I’m thankful for my beagle that wants to be covered up and tucked securely into his bed at night. And I am glad I am the one he wants to do it. I love it that he is almost never up in the morning before I am.
  • I’m thankful for every time my beagle scratches at the door, because that means he doesn’t go potty on my floor. EVER! He is such a good boy!
  • I am thankful for my lab that absolutely will NOT let me sit down without making sure my hand is on her head for a loving pat, for at least a moment or two. And who absolutely demands I throw her bone every time I step out the door. She is the boss, but she doesn't try to be.
  • I am thankful for horses that can look through my living room or dining room window and demand that I know it is their feeding time. Not that I would ever forget.
  • One thing that is always on my list whenever I make a list is rustling Bible pages. It means people are doing what they should be doing…wherever that might be.
  • And of course I’m thankful that God appointed me to the time that has running water and indoor plumbing and electric heat.
  • I’m also thankful, that I live in the generation that was able to meet PM Netanyahu.
  • I am thankful for arguing politicians and frustrated television commentators. At least that means someone cares and is trying to get something done.
  • I’m thankful for cell phones and I am SO thankful, that I was WRONG (probably the most wrong I have ever been) when I told the salesmen the first time I ever saw one, that “Those will never go anywhere!”
  • I’m thankful that I have a good highway to drive on that I absolutely hate to drive!
  • I’m thankful for instant meals, instant entertainment; instant news on demand; and instant messaging, and then whenever I want to, I can make it all distant in simply an instant.
  • I’m thankful it is now less than a month to the shortest day of the year, which means the days will incrementally start getting longer - in just 25 more days!
  • I'm thankful I can count.
  • I’m thankful I opened the first jar of pickles for the season, and they are every bit as good as Mom’s this year.
  • I’m thankful for country music.
  • I’m thankful I thought about learning to play mandolin this year, then laughed about it and forgot about it… and well maybe.
  • I'm thankful for Christmas lights, even if it is early.
  • Someone once told me, "If you leave your Christmas lights up year round, you may be a redneck."  I'm thankful I'm a red-neck.
  • I’m thankful for my new dryer, having gone a week or so without one.
  • I’m thankful I have more pounds to lose, because that means I ate really well this year.
  • I’m thankful for friends from 40 years or more.
  • I’m thankful my roof isn’t leaking and my heat isn’t broke.
  • I'm thankful for my barn; even though it's small, it smells and feels like a real barn.
  • I’m thankful for the stars at night and that I actually live somewhere where I can still see them.
  • I’m thankful for sunrises and sunsets and fingernail moons.
  • I'm thankful that almost every time I see a sunrise, I think of Jim Croce...hmmm hm hmmm hmmmmmm...
  • I'm thankful I am a morning person, as long as I don't have to be around anyone else for an hour or two....or three...
  • Oh, and coffee.
  • And then there are all the important things - I’m thankful for the things too deep to write and I'm thankful that I don’t have to.
Here a moo, there a moo....
Happy Thanksgiving!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment