"Language, as well as the faculty of speech, was the immediate gift of God." ~ Noah Webster



Sunday, December 29, 2013

This is Christmas

Christmas is behind us now.  It came and went as quickly as it always does.

Every year I try to make it as stress-free as possible, so I can actually enjoy the moments. I think we all want to do that; to just let the season saturate our souls; partake of all that we can; simply enjoy the beauty and the wonder of the holiday.

Having said that though, I still always want to celebrate Christmas with gusto. In my opinion, the more and bigger the celebration becomes, the better off we all are. In a time when some are actively trying to attack this special Christian holiday – even remove it from its roots – it is up to the Christian to protect it. I really don’t care how Christmas is celebrated: Trees, ornaments, gifts, cards, Santa, singing, decorations in November! And of course the tranquil, but inspiring Christmas Eve services; I say do it all!

Regardless of some traditions being secular (and of course we all know there are many) it still causes us all to come back to one thing – Jesus. It’s probably the only time of the year the world is compelled to talk and think about Jesus. Even through secularization of customs, it all still comes back to Jesus. Only if the atheist or the progressive leftists are allowed to stop everything in the way of celebration (which they are indeed attempting) do we lose. I say CELEBRATE! What other day of the year, does everything almost completely come to a stop because of one Man…that’s saying something! That Man just happens to be King of kings and Lord of lords. He is largely and vividly apparent to everyone this time of year; and that is a good thing. That is a witness to the world.

This year, I feel like I was able to slow down more and really enjoy this wonderful time of year. I had several moments this Christmas season that quietly said to me: This is Christmas.

Below are some of my most precious moments and memories of this most blessed Christmas season...
 
  • I stood behind the door of our bedroom watching our son stealthily walking down the hall with his arms full of gifts. He didn't want to be seen. He didn’t know I was there.

  • Going out to the forest with my son to chop a Christmas tree in the freshly fallen snow.

  • My son randomly saying: “I can’t wait for Christmas morning.” “Are you expecting something special this Christmas?” I asked.“No, it isn’t that,” he replied and he changed the subject. I later understood that rather than expecting something, he was giving something special – something very special indeed.

  • My folks worshipping and holding their lighted candles as I sat behind them watching in a church my grandparents helped start.    

  • Sitting there listening to my great niece sing a special solo accompanied by her grandpa. Enjoying her beautiful voice, yes; but also realizing that I have seen 5 generations serve in some capacity; in different ways and at different times in this little church that each of my family, to some degree, calls home.
  • Little kids thinking my husband is Santa; even a parent stopping us to ask him if he would talk to their child. That was special enough, but what was really special in this was the joy my husband got from it.

  • Matthew playing Santa for the community. The community coming together to really support this brand new endeavor, that also helps the less fortunate.         

  • The beautiful box of Christmas cookies that our neighbor delivered, still warm and perfectly shaped. It wasn’t simply about the cookies. It is about the wonderful new neighbors we have in this young couple. I LOVE them! They warm my heart, make me smile; and make me feel safe; and give me hope. They bring the past to the present.

  • A material gain!  My son gave me a new beautiful wrought iron bench with a horse design. It is only partly the material aspect. It is more about the fact that I KNOW how hard he had to work to find, purchase and deliver this bench. All the while keeping it totally secret. He knew I have been trying to get this particular bench for YEARS! It brought tears Christmas morning, because it said, "I know you and I love you."   ;-)

  • "Mantles" were passed this Christmas season. The younger generation took over hosting Christmas dinner. My oldest sister took over making the Rosettes my mom has made for a generation. My niece made the "Doc Holidays". I took over the pickles some time ago; but I just realized it this year. I will make the rolls next year.

  • The cards that come daily in the mail - mostly from people that one only hears from this time of year, but are forever in our hearts.
  • Coming home from my niece’s house downtown and seeing all the elaborate and beautiful Christmas decorations on the houses in the city. For a moment, realizing this is the city I grew up and once loved. (Sorry, not so much anymore; but perhaps for that moment.)

  • The stillness on the drive home, with very few stirring. Almost no businesses open. I sat in silence as my husband drove, and my son had already quickly fallen asleep due to the irregular hours he has been having to keep. It was a special, special moment. 

  • What other day of the year causes the whole world to practically come to a stop? I thought to myself. This is the only day of the year that it does…every year, for generations. We decorate, we celebrate, we buy, we stress, and worship and live and laugh and love and then we stop; the whole world stops - for the King’s birthday; to honor the only One worthy… Whether one realizes it or not, the world stops as we celebrate the King. This is Christmas.
     

    For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. ~ Isaiah 9:6 KJV


     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment