"Language, as well as the faculty of speech, was the immediate gift of God." ~ Noah Webster



Thursday, January 5, 2017

One Piece At A Time

New Year's Day. New Year's Resolutions. I haven't made any in a long time, preferring instead  to pray about what God has for me in the new year. I simply ask God to reveal to me what would be the "Word of the Year", so to speak. Interestingly enough, I think this year the word IS "resolution". I think it is time.

After the busy year I had last year, I had to let so much slide.  My friends, my family, my house, my yard, my animals, my hobbies, all took last place last year. Because of that, I am behind on everything. And actually it isn't even just last year that has been beating up on me; it has been several years. Last year was probably only the worst. Regardless, there has been much that has suffered.

SO! This year, I will work to resolve all of that. My resolution is to begin!

 I have become so overwhelmed by what is here for me to do, that I have failed to act. The task has become so big it has paralyzed me. I don't know where to begin, so I just do nothing. I think to myself: "I just don't have time to do that."; so I don't start, simply because I know I can never finish.

A very dear friend of mine once gave me some very valued insight and information. I had just broken a beautiful glass bell I had inherited when my grandma died. She had a wonderful collection of decorative bells and they were passed on to family members after her death. I was absolutely heartbroken when I broke this treasured memento. I just wanted it back together in one piece. The task seemed impossible. The bell was shattered.

"How am I ever going to get that bell back together?" I lamented to my friend.

She calmly answered and in a soothing voice confidently stated, "Well, Jan; simply one piece at a time."

Her words hit my heart with clarity and satisfaction. That was my answer and the only answer I needed.

Well then, shouldn't the task before me now be dealt with in the same manner? That is the only way to get it done. To simply begin. Even if it is only one little piece at a time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment