"Language, as well as the faculty of speech, was the immediate gift of God." ~ Noah Webster



Friday, September 6, 2024

Missing the Signal

I saw the sweetest little video on Facebook today. It showed a farmer in his field probably haying his crop. And it showed his little grandson running out to the tractor with his grandpa's lunch and a cool drink to quench Grandpa's thirst from the hot sun. 

It almost brought tears to my eyes (or I guess I did cry a bit) because it was so sweet. It showed the grandpa getting off the tractor, and the little grandson running to his grandpa for a big old hug. And of course the grandpa hugged him right back. 

I can't remember the caption on the post right now. But it was in regard to growing your son's up to be "country" and Jason Aldean's song "Let Your Boys Be Country" was playing in the background.

It was the most touching thing to watch because that's my lifestyle too. That's everything I believe in. But it also moved me because it brought back memories of my own grandpa. 

My little sis and I would try to help him out when we were little as he was haying his crop. When it was time for a drink of water, he would put his thumb to his lips with his little pinky extended making a flexing motion that demonstrated he was drinking. (No, not that kind of drinking! ;-)) That let us know he was ready for a drink of water. That was our cue to go in and get a cool glass of water from Grandma. We loved that! Then we would excitedly run it out to the pasture where Grandpa was working so hard...proud that we were now helping.

My youngest sister reminded me of that memory several years ago. I had forgotten all about it, but ever since she brought it to my memory, I can see Grandpa as clearly as if he was standing right in front of me right now, letting us know it was time for him to have a cool drink of water.

As I watched the video, and it caused me to think about this today, it also reminded me of another memory when Grandpa had signaled to me. He had a car that wouldn't start. Back then most of the cars were probably standard/stick shifts and much easier to self start than an automatic. But anyway, as he tied the car that wouldn't start to the pickup, he asked me to ride along with Grandma. 

was supposed to watch him as we drove down the little hill near our house. When he signaled to me with a wave, I was supposed to let Grandma know. I can't think what that must have meant. I guess that meant he had been able to get it started, as he popped the clutch going down the small incline... She was supposed to pull over, I guess, so he could unchain. But I missed my signal and I just waved back thinking how sweet it was Grandpa was waving at me from his car. I don't know why in the world I didn't make the connection. Finally I think Grandma said something like "Isn't he waving yet?" 

And so proud that I had his attention, I replied back to Grandma,  "Oh yes, Grandpa has been waving at me!" And then I heard a sigh from Grandma and finally understood the furrowed brow and frustrated look on Grandpa's face that I could see through the car windows and I knew I had blown it. 

I guess I wasn't the smartest crayon in the box. I was shy and awkward and probably often missed the instructions because I was always thinking about how uncomfortable I was. Even as much as I loved my grandma and grandpa, I was shy and awkward with them too. I was never totally comfortable around anyone when I was little. Well, yet still. 

But anyway, those are just a few little memories from my childhood about my grandparents that the cute country video from Jason Aldean brought back to me today.I was raised country too; but I'm a girl.😜  And of course the song is mostly about sons. But that doesn't mean the emotions aren't every bit as strong and every bit as important. 

And the lesson in my post? Don't miss the signal when you're raised country. Ya gotta do it right! 

Enjoy this song from Jason Aldean. "Let Your Boys Be Country". 

I love this song and video...especially that Jason included his family in it. I want my boys to be country, too...'cept I don't want my boys to get too "wild with the boys". And I want them to stay away from "cold beer". ;-) 

One more thing I don't want them missing any signals, like I did! ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment