It's summer! It has been a bit of an arduous process getting to this moment, this year. What moment? You know...those moments we talk about as the "lazy days of summer". The moment we wait for all year long, it seems. At least, I do. And I always have. There has been a lot going on in my life, and most of it has been very difficult. I won't go there, today. I will just breathe a sigh of relief, knowing that we are now on the other end of that.
When thinking of the "lazy days of summer", I can't help but think of the days of my youth when I was a pre-teen and even just turned teen. My 2nd favorite thing to do (Riding horses in the neighborhood, was my very first favorite thing to do.) was to climb up in my brother's tree fort which he had built by himself in the big ole locust tree of the back yard. I loved to spend the morning, or afternoon there reading one of my books.
My brother just recently reminded me of the soft, aromatic scent that wafted across the lawn when that tree was in bloom. He said he remembered smelling it from his upstairs bedroom window as he slept at night or when he woke in the morning. I didn't have that memory, but I certainly remember it from playing or working in the backyard. And I certainly remember it from sitting in the tree fort as I read. I don't think it gets better than that. Taking it all in as I read, and feeling secure and happy believing no one knew where I was, was pure heaven. At least I thought no one knew... It probably wasn't too difficult for my mom or siblings to guess.
Another favorite thing for me through all my grade school years, was when we had "book day"! All the students would get a little leaflet with all kinds of books to choose from designed for our individual grade level. We were to take the pamphlet home to show our folks to get permission to place an order if we wanted. I would excitedly take it home and ask my mom which books I could buy this time. She never said no, and I was able to get all the books I wanted...within reason of course. She did have 4 kids that wanted to buy too, probably. At least I remember this service during the years my brother and I were in school. We were closest in age, the other two each being a book end of about 3 years apart from us. So I am not positive they had the same advantage when they attended our little country grade school.Now, here I am an old lady, decades later - I won't say how many decades; but you can probably get an idea. lol I recently took a moment and looked at some of the books I had bought and read during that time. Yes! I still have them! Or at least some of them. Thus, the photo. So fun!!
Decades later, I think it is time to read them again. They all look so interesting!! I am only missing the tree fort. Might have to do something about that, too!

No comments:
Post a Comment